The St. Albans Historical Society is celebrating 50 years in 2022 of sharing the local St. Albans history!
Young Historicans Club: Anyone who has kids or teens in their lives who are interested in local St. Albans history....we are starting a Young Historians Club at the St. Albans Historical Society. We will meet the LAST Sunday of every month at 404 4th Avenue from 2-4 p.m. (adjacent to the C&O Depot). Membership is FREE and FUN is guaranteed. Parents/caregivers are welcome to accompany their children. Please share with a friend (or several) who might be interested! For information, call Denise Cyrus at: 304 206-1974.
History and Mystery Tour: Tours meet at the Loop. There will be one at 6:30 p.m. on Saturday, October 29 and one at 8:00 p.m. on Monday, October 31. Tours are $10 for adults and $5 for children.
Open House: The Historical Society Building at 404 Fourth Ave. will be open Every 1st Saturday (10-2 pm). Come see our hundredes of photos, displays and St. Albans Yearbooks.
November Meeting: Our November Meeting will be on Sunday, November 13, at 2pm, at 404 Fourth Ave. We will be honoring our veterans! A presentation was made to the Burdette family of a portrait of Bill and Betty Burdette for display at the historical building. A presentation was made to Neil Richardson for his many years of being an officer as he retired from president in November. He jointed in 1982.
RENT the St. Albans Historical Society Building at 404 Fourth Ave. For showers, receptions, parties, reunions, etc. Only $35 for 4 hours. a $35 deposit is required....to be returned. We have a full kitchen with refrigerator, oven and microwave. Excellent for small functions. 30 chairs and 8-6' tables. Call Denise Cyrus at 304 206-1974 to get a building use agreement sent to you. Also..see: St. Albans Historical Society on Facebook for photos or Agreement.
For a Building Use Agreement: Click Here or go to:
Picnic: The 2023 St. Albans Historical Society PICNIC will be held on Sunday, June 3, at 2:00 p.m. at Morgan’s Kitchen.
Christmas Homes Tour: Saturday, December 10, 5:00-8:00 p.m. Tours begin at the St. Albans Historical Society (404 4th Avenue) and are $10 for adults. Children and paid Historical Society members are admitted for free!
NEWSLETTERS ADDED: Twenty two (22) (1992 - 1995) & (2003-2006) Newsletters have been added to this web page. See "Newsletters" page.
St. Albans Historical Society - 2022/2023 Meeting Dates
All meetings are at the William P. Burdette Memorial Building at 404, 4th Ave. 2:00 p.m.
(Regular meetings are on 2nd Sundays unless otherwise stated)
November 13, 2022 - Regular Meeting
December 10, 2022 - Christmas Historic Homes Tour, (2nd Saturday), 5 - 8 p.m.
December 11, 2022 (Sunday) - Morgan’s Kitchen Open House and Bonfire, 5 - 7 p.m.
April 9, 2023 - Regular Meeting
June 4, 2023 - Sunday Picnic, 2 p.m. at Morgan’s Kitchen
June - August - Morgan’s Kitchen Open House, Sundays, 2-4 pm (VOLUNTEERS NEEDED!)
September 10, 2023 - Regular Meeting
October 14, 2023 - Morgan’s Kitchen Fall Festival (2nd Saturday)
October 21, 2023 - History and Mystery Tour, 6:30 p.m.
October 28, 2023 - History and Mystery Tour, 6:30 p.m.
November 12, 2023 - Regular Meeting
December 9, 2023 - Christmas Homes Tour
December 17, 2023 - Morgan's Kitchen Open House and Bonfire, 5 - 7 p.m.
Some Past Society Newsletter Topics Were: (1992-1994)
March 1992 (Carol Graley new editor)
· Hotel Majestic
· Incident at Indian Creek
· High-Tor House
· C&O Railroad
· “A Hundred Years Ago” – Poem
· Kanawha Baptist Church at Pratt, WV
· Log Chain and Ring Dogs
· Stephen Teays story
· Carroll Hansford story
· Casdorph & Curry Funeral Home
· Carter Woodson Jr. High School (1935-1956)
· Shelton College
· Ninety-one years in Kanawha County
· “St. Albans History” book written
· “A Piece of the Past – 100 years Ago”
· Daisy Chambers Washington
· The Thompsons of Coalsmouth
· King Family Cemetery
· Dawson Printing Company
· Families of St. Albans & New “St. Albans History” book
· Stephen Capehart – About St. Albans
· St. Albans High School – 1915-1925 Seniors and Teachers
· St. Albans - Nitro Bridge 1934 Opening Program
· Arthur Hughes Poem to wife Jennie
· Brief History of St. Albans
· Christmas Homes Tour
· St. Albans Historical Society Membership List
· Justice of the Peace – 1842
· Cameron Thompson story
· Uncle Billy Armstead story
· Pearson House – 8th Ave.
· Halloween Prank story by Albert Spurlock
· Aunt Molly Spurlock Peck story
· Coal River Man Executed – 1858
· Late 18th Century Medical Terms
· Deaths in Kanawha County – 1853-1899
· Interview with Ensell Mercer (Caldwell)
· Nitro Toll Bridge Memories
· “69 Years – For Better or Worse” by John Burgess
· Vintroux Stone and Cemetery
· Family History : Wood, Langley, Rain, Fanning
· Wreak of the No. 1 by Dunbar
· Browder Family history
· McNeeley Cemetery
· Thomas Cemetery
· Gray Cemetery
· St. Albans Historical Society Membership List