- Built in 1920 on 41 acres of land along the highway from the present
Ordnance Park (ca. 1941) ... and before MacCorkle Ave. (late 1940’s).
- Located on the site of present day Morgan’s Kitchen.
- In old photos... it appears to be a two story concrete or brick structure.
- Manufactured ‘Virginian’ tires, tubes, toy balloons, balls, and rubber dolls.
- Railroad spurs lead to C&O railroad. Grade is still visible at tennis courts.
- Probably ... much more conc. is still covered with earth at this site..
- Employed several hundred employees.
- Destroyed by fire onJanuary 13, 1924.
- Damage estimate was $500,000.
- The plant never rebuilt.
- 4 years later the site was considered for a Kanawha Co. Airport
- Old land description lists Willow Street & Cleveland Ave. Willow St. ran to
the river and Clevland Ave. ran parallel to the railroad tracks....both were dirt.