Built in 1920 on 41 acres of land along the Kanawha
River across from the present Ordnance
Park (ca. 1941) ... and before MacCorkle
Ave. (late 1940’s).
Located on the site of present day Morgan’s
In old photos... it appears to be a two story
concrete or brick structure.
Manufactured ‘Virginian’ tires, tubes, toy
balloons, balls, and rubber dolls.
Railroad spurs lead to C&O railroad. Grade
is still visible at tennis courts.
Probably ... much more conc. still covered with
earth at this site..
Employed several hundred employees.
Destroyed by fire on January 13, 1924.
Damage estimate was $500,000.
The plant never opened back up.
description lists Willow Street &
Cleveland Ave. Willow St. ran to the river
ran parallel to the railroad tracks....both were dirt.