St. Albans Historical Society
404 Fourth Ave., St. Albans, West Virginia

Welcome !!

   

St. Albans Area Historical Markers


Archaeological Site

     

 

ST.  ALBANS  ARCHEOLOGICAL  SITE

Discovered in 1963 by Sam Kessell.  Recognized as one of the oldest and

deepest stratified sites of the Early Archaic period (8,000 – 10,000 BC).

Artifacts recovered document early inhabitants who camped here along the

Kanawha River were small hunter-gather groups with ancestral links to

modern native Americans. Site listed on National Register in 1971.

St. Albans along US Rt. 60 (MacCorkle Avenue), 1  mile East of the St. Albans Bridge.


Morgan Kitchen

 

MORGAN  KITCHEN MUSEUM

Constructed in 1846. This cabin served as kitchen house for the 600-acre

estate of John Morgan. The day before the Battle of Scary, on July 16,1861,

Union troops commanded by Gen. Jacob D. Cox camped on the Morgan

estate and were fed from this kitchen. Donated to the city of St. Albans

by Albert Sidney Johnson Morgan, 1883-1973, this his­toric cabin was restored

and is now known as Morgan Plantation Kitchen Museum.

US 60 West (MacCorkle Avenue), 1.8 miles east of St. Albans Bridge, St. Albans.


Bangor Cemetery

 

BANGOR  CEMETERY

This land, which was owned by George Washington, and then (eventually)

purchased by (early settler) Morris Hudson, who in 1819 built a small church

on the knoll that adjoined this property. As was the custom of the times,

2 acres were set-aside as a cemetery for members of the Bangor Parish.

The church burned in 1845 and was replaced and named St. Mark’s Episcopal,

now located on 405 B Street. (Samuel Washington, George's nephew, is

buried here. He inherited this property upon his uncle's death).

St. Albans along Kanawha Terrace (old US RT 60) at Walnut Street.


Covered Bridge

 

ST.  ALBANS  COVERED  BRIDGE

Located at the site of the crossing of the James River and Kanawha Turnpike

and Coal River. Covered Toll Bridge, built by Phillip Thompson and James

Teays, rep[laced a fatty which operated in the same location. The bridge,

one of the longest in western Virginia, had a 180 ft. span. General Wise’s

retreating Confederate forces burned the bridge July 21, 1861, after the

Battle of Scary Creek.

St. Albans at the Loop and the Coal River Bridge (old US RT 60).


Washington land

 

WASHINGTON’S  LAND

George Washington’s “Cole” River Tract of 2,000 acres was surveyed

by John Floyd in 1774 and patented April 12, 1774. Bounded by the

Coal and Kanawha Rivers, “5 miles and 88 poles”, it embraced the

site of St. Albans.

US 60 West (MacCorkle Avenue) in St. Albans Roadside Park, 0.4 miles east of St. Albans Bridge, St. Albans


Ft Tackett

 

FORT  TACKETT

Nearby stood Fort Tackett, de­stroyed by Indians, 1790. Near the fort

the day before the attack, Mrs. John Young gave birth to a son, the

first white child born in this valley. The Youngs and a few others

es­caped to Fort Lee.

Rt. 817 and Rt. 33, at the 84 Lumber Company.


Scary Creek

 

BATTLE  OF  SCARY

First Confederate victory in Kanawha Valley fought here July 17, 1861.

Charge of the Rangers under Captain (later General) Jenkins won the

day. Whitelaw Reid described the event as a war correspondent with

Gen. Cox’s Union forces.

Rt. 817  at the Scary Creek Bridge, 2 mi. West of St. Albans..

 

 


rosie the riveter park

ROSIE THE RIVETER PARK

Located at the St. Albans Roadside Park to commemorate the Rosies

from this area that worked at the wartime factories during WWII.


Samuel Washington Marker Samuel Washington Marker Samuel Washington Marker

Above: While not a Highway Marker, the grave marker of Samuel

Washington, George's nephew, was recently uncovered at Bangor

Cemetery in St. Albans. He owned several thousand acres of land

in the Dunbar area and lived here for awhile.


george washington monument

George Washington Monument 

Errected in 1932 by the State of WV at the old

St. Albans Jr. High (then  the High School)


 

war memorial ordinance park

War Memorials

Erected in 2007 in Ordinance Park housing area. Originally build homes for workers

at the Naval Ordinance Plant in South Charleston. One marker is for all of the military 

from St. Albans killed the wars from WWI to the Vietnam War. The other honors

Medal of Honor recipriant Robert Cox for his actions in 1904 aboard the USS Missouri

to extinguish a fire that killed 33 persons and averting the loss of the ship and

futher deaths.