See More Historical Tabs at Bottom of Page
Coal River Bridge Pictures
1st Bridge (1831) (Burnt in 1861 during the Confederate retreat from town). Two lane - 180 ' long. (below)
2nd Bridge (1870 - 1908) (Steel bow arch bridge) (below)
3rd Bridge (1908 - 1965) (Steel Parker Truss) (below)
4th Bridge (1965 - present) (Steel Girder Bridge) (below)
“St. Albans Advertiser”, July 1, 1965:
For two hundred working days, the Coal River Bridge at Main St.
will be closed. The old bridge will be taken out and a new one installed.
Traffic will be detoured to U.S. Rt. 60. Low bid was $338, 000
by Mountain State Construction.